Firefighters give water to thirsty baby koala and mother on Kangaroo Island, Australia

Published by : The Sun
Firefighters have been filmed using the correct method to give water to a thirsty baby koala and mother on Kangaroo Island in Australia.

It comes as it's emerged that a koala that suffered minor burns in the deadly fires has DROWNED after being given too much water by rescuers.

The vulnerable bear, named Arnie, was saved from an inferno in Victoria's East Gippsland and sustained small wounds to his hands and feet.

However, despite surviving the wild fire, the animal died after being given a drink from a bottle of water by kindhearted strangers.

Coverage of the blazes in Australia, which have killed at least 28 people and an estimated one billion animals, has included viral clips showing animal lovers pouring water into the mouths of the stricken bears.

However, experts are now warning that koalas should only lap water from a bowl and that pouring liquid into their mouths can fill their lungs which can prove fatal.

Read more here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10752401/australia-fires-koala-drowns/


From Brexit breaking news to HD movie trailers, The Sun newspaper brings you the latest news videos and explainers from the UK and around the world.

Become a Sun Subscriber and hit the bell to be the first to know

Read The Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk
Like The Sun on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesun/
Follow The Sun on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheSun
Subscribe to The Sun on Snapchat: https://www.snapchat.com/discover/The_Sun/1633225139
cached video

The Sun news breaking news koala koalas bushfires Australia bushfires fire fires blaze blazes Australia fires Aussie Oz TATE ANIMAL TRAINING ENTERPRISES Animal Rescue Australia wildfires English Springer Spaniel Conservation detection dogs wildlife animal animals Conservation climate change dog dogs hero dog Kangaroo Island Koala water koala drinking water How to give koala water Arnie koala